Saturday, May 21, 2005

Why a Warped Tour Site? Part Two

Continuing on with yesterday’s post, I’ll add the other answer to “Why a Warped Tour site?” This one is much more personal and selfish than yesterday’s post.

During a workshop at
Omega several years ago, we were walked through a guided meditation. One of the exercises afterwards was to make a list of things we wanted to be when we were children. We were told to think carefully, and then write down the top thing we wanted to be as a child, and the top thing we wanted to be as a teenager.

My items were:
1.) Child -
Archeologist
2.) Teenager – Journalist for Rolling Stone magazine

We were told that in some practical way, we should try to incorporate those two things into our lives as a hobby. That even though our careers and lives bore no resemblance to our hopes and dreams when we were young, there was still a part of us that was that child, that was that teenager, and that still had those dreams.

All of us had grand career dreams when we were young. And all of us had our grand career dreams laughed at by those around us. By finding expression for those dreams, not only would we honor that authentic self within us, we heal the wounds of having our dreams invalidated.

We were told to write down the disparaging remarks that were made about our goals:

You better marry a millionaire if you want to be an archeologist. There’s no money in that.”
Rolling Stone Magazine! How many thousands of resumes do you think they get in a day?”

And those comments were neither said in a cruel tone, nor meant to be cruel. They are honestly true. There really is no money in archeology. You do have to be born wealthy to have that as a career. And I’m sure the number of resumes that Rolling Stone Magazine gets totters on the tens of thousands.

Unrealistic career goals to be sure, but they were part of my authentic self’s dreams.

Incorporating archeology into my life was easy enough. It was something I already had done. Watching mostly
PBS, The History Channel, The Discovery Channel and The Learning Channel, I was a walking encyclopedia on the ancient history of the Celtic Islands.

But a music journalist…? How could that ever be incorporated into a hobby? I can’t name one single band I hear on the radio. Most of my CDs are New Age/Ambient/World Music CDs. And I’m really not that good of a writer. So I shelved that idea. Yeah, it sounds good at an overpriced new-agey Omega workshop, but it just don’t fly in the real world, friends.

It was funny how the Parent’s Guide got rolling long before I ever made the connection between that workshop and what I was doing. Unconsciously, I had incorporated that 25-year-old dream into a hobby.

Even if my conscious, practical, rational self saw no way that a busy adult woman who knew nothing about music AND with a full time job could find some type of music writing hobby, that part of my soul took over and found a way for it.

So that’s the other reason, I tell those who look at me slightly askew. It’s my hobby. And I’d recommend it to anyone.

Make a list of the top thing you wanted to be when you were a child, and the top thing you wanted to be when you were a teenager. And find a way, anyway, to just do it. Those around you will think you’ve gone insane. But let them. It’s good to have people worried about you. Keeps them on their toes. Let them think you’re a nut. The fact that you’re not, the fact that you’re the farthest thing from a nut, will be your own private joke. I won’t tell them if you won’t.

Go nuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home