Thursday, July 28, 2005

Never mind bugging their cars....



... I'd much rather put a GPS tracking device in their heads.

Seriously though, I really think this is just a waste of money. And it's insulting to kids. Not that you'd want to track them. That's not insulting. I'm only half joking about that GPS-brain-chip thing. What's insulting is to actually think this is going to work.

I got a kick out of this line:

"Using our system, parents can be immediately notified, by text message, blackberry, or email, if their teen does something they shouldn't. For instance, going to a particular house or business, leaving school during school hours, or exceeding pre-defined speed limits."

Now, for anyone who was ever 17 years old, tell me that didn't crack you up. The developers of this obviously don't realize that any kid who's parents buy this because they don't want their teen driving to a certain place is just going to park their car someplace else. Or catch a ride.

Hey, I know it's a scary world. But this whole new industry devoted to tracking our kids day and night via cell phone and cars.... it's just an industry based on fear and mistrust marketed to the upper middle class. These things don't come cheap friends. A SignalTrac Ultra is $500 for the device, and that does not include installation. Fees for different packages range from $30 to $60 per month. So if you're one of the many working slobs in this country where both parents are holding down two full time jobs and you still have no money left over after bills, you're out of luck. Guess you just have to parent the old fashioned way. Or maybe even -- horrors -- actually trust your kid.

What did our parents ever do without GPS enabled cars and phones to watch over our every move? How did we ever survive into adulthood?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Nancy said...

I can't imagine tracking my kids EVERYWHERE! By the time they are 17 they hopefully will know right from wrong. Isn't part of growing up getting in trouble and learning to deal w. those consequences (sp?).

I knew when I was screwing up and if I happened to get caught I just took the punishment. I alwasy made sure the crime was so much better than the punishment ;)

10:47 AM  
Blogger WarpedTourMom said...

I hear that! Or we pulled a Meadow Soprano and suggested our own punishment, and hoped our parents were too distracted by us taking responsibility for our actions they didn’t notice what a piece of fluff punishment it really is ;)

But it's the truth. Once they've hit the age where they are old enough to drive you just gotta let go. Tracking them 24 hours a day via a website when they are 17, 18... it just sounds creepy and stalkerish

11:14 AM  
Blogger Sonal said...

I feel that parents should be able to trust their kids. To kids telling them not to do something is almost like an open invitation for them to do the exact thing u forbade. Trust me...I learned this from first hand experience. I am about to turn 19 and I know how kids are. Although I was never a bad kid, I did do things I normally wouldnt due to my over-posessive parents. But I have to agree that quote is funny and your statement about what our parents did and how they survived into adulthood made me laugh.

:-)

btw....nice blog...really interesting

11:40 AM  
Blogger WarpedTourMom said...

Thanks Sonal!

4:22 PM  
Blogger MomOf2 said...

Oh this tracking thing has been taken one step further. I saw this ad for girls' underwear... with a chip inside that will not only track her movement, but it signals when her pulse rises and even shows her body temperature. Sick-o.
I can't even imagine.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home