Monday, August 01, 2005

Can we go back to that cougar part again?



My husband is a lot of fun to watch TV with.

He really gets into it. After a show is over, and during it as well, he wants to talk about it. And analyze what just happened. And talk, ad nauseum, about the psychological ramifications and motivations of the characters. It drives the kids nuts. “Hello, Daaad”, my stepson will say, “Here’s a news blast for you: It’s a TV show. They are actors. This did not really just happen.” My son and stepdaughter are less subtle. They'll just scream, "Shut uuuuuppppp!!!"

We get series on DVD and watch them, because with my work schedule I’m usually busy when a show is on. He will hit the pause button a minimum of 3 times during any episode to discuss why Leo Glynn really is the best warden that prison could have, being both an African American male and a former corrections officer, or why Adrianna, for all her faults, really was a pure soul at heart and didn’t deserve that although she really should have seen it coming, or argue with me, over and over, why Carmella knew what she was getting into when she married him, or rant and rave over why Kim Bauer is the most useless character ever in a show and there is no way, no f*cking way, that air brained moron would have ever gotten a job like that even if her dad worked there and – OK, you get my point.

I think it’s cute. The kids don’t, but I do.

He never really liked Six Feet Under. One night a few years ago I was late getting back, so he decided to sit down and watch the show so he could tell me what I missed during the opening. He knows I love those death scenes in the beginning. What he didn’t know was that they were re-running the first season that night. Starting with the first episode. I came back about halfway through the show. As I walked in the door he jumped up from the couch and yelled, “The dad died!”

I cracked up. He didn’t know that was the first episode, and he thought that the dad was a major character who’s death was going to cause a major shift in the script. I was laughing so hard I was crying, really. I told that story at work and everyone died laughing.

Sometimes though he talks through the shows while they are actually airing, which does annoy me a bit. Last night even he hit the damn mute button twice to start to argue over Rico’s emotional affair and whether or not Vanessa should still carry this pain or ask who does Claire and her new Republican boyfriend remind me of and I had to hit him. I don’t like to be a violent woman, but he brings me to it sometimes.

Last night, when Nate died I thought he was going to have a stroke. I was really afraid for him. He screamed, “OH MY GOD!” so loud the windows rattled. My stepson laughed so hard at him he was crawling on the floor.

I just kind of sat there stunned. I kind of saw it coming after that whole narm thing, but was hoping that it wouldn’t.

I wished we had TiVO.

I would have liked to have seen that cougar part again.

6 Comments:

Blogger PapaCool said...

We've found that getting the DVD library of an older TV series is a lot of fun. And the library has many available now that you can checkout for free! Watch at your own pace after the kids are down.

11:25 AM  
Blogger WarpedTourMom said...

Yeah we love those DVD libraries, papacool. But they won't have that cougar part from last night!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

ROFL! I talk like actors are really real people and can you beleive what just happened. Like, I am very upset that Joan of Arcadia was canceled. Now I have all these unanswered questions. What do I do now? Does the network every think about that? NOOOOOO. They just rope ya in and then CANCELED! I am so glad TV shows are coming out on DVD. Then I can visit my friends whenever I want....

7:54 AM  
Blogger WarpedTourMom said...

TV friends are the best Nancy. They never care if your living room is messy.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do have TiVo, and I ran the cougar part about a dozen times. For some reason I just found it hysterically funny. Of course I found "The Aristocrats" (the joke--I haven't seen the movie yet) hysterically funny as well. Matter of taste, I guess.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bondage sex toys bondage sex toys
bondage restraints bondage restraints
ankle restraints ankle restraints
wrist restraints adult sex toys
bondage bondage
fetish sex toys fetish sex toys
head restraints head restraints
leather bondage restraints leather bondage restraints
bed restraints bed restraints
bondage blindfold bondage blindfold

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home